Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Fourth Go-Round

Each strand, black as night, silky in its luminescence. My fingers reach of their own volition, hungry to brush them from his forehead.

I will sing you morning lullabies
You are beautiful, and peaceful this way
I know you have to close your eyes on everyone
Let me help you, I'll sing you to sleep
With morning lullabies

- Ingrid Michaelson

The car shakes, the lights filter while we hurtle towards the numerous stops-each a destination for a traveler with his or her own story. My eyes transfix upon his face and the innocence radiating from his slumbering visage.

A flutter, a hand flung carelessly over his body.

May you always be so carefree, so effortlessly peaceful and may you be as happy and beautiful whilst awake as you’ve shown to be in slumber.

As I disembark, I turn…I look back and smile. This is the end of the road. It is the fourth year of a memory that reminds me of the loss of you.

The sun shines, the air is sharp. My eyes blink and I begin the walk towards my destination.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, I'm sorry.
But it's a very pretty piece.

Anonymous said...

it feels as if you are ready to move on.

can we hope for the positive?

Hayaah said...

The pain with every year is learning to soothe itself down some, and keep walking on?

x's