Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rishta Diaries - Candidate One

Yes, as a Paki-American, I have a "thing" for the British accent. I have no idea what it is however the ugliest and non-besharam banda becomes mesmerizingly hot if he's got an English accent.

Yup you guessed it...behind the first curtain the larka offered a British accent.


So, on to the all important biodata.

39 yrs old
Divorced (his wife cheated)
3 yr old son (son is 3 mths older than my son would be, had he lived)
Born in UK, raised in private school in India, grad and post grad in UK.
Former Investment Banker for Deutsche Bank
Currently operating as a owner of mental health care facilities throughout Southern England.

So, I emailed him to see how well he could communicate via the written word. Ok, so the dry wit was there. He could write. A flurry of e-mails later he challenged me to call the # he left. I demured, I am after all a proper khojee

Khair, he called the number given to him on the original biodata.Why'd we run the chase of e-mails if we already had each others numbers? Yes, this is the PERFECT example of desi's wasting time!

So first phone call was...ecstatic. Mum and aunti's eagerly waited in the next room while I finished the convo. I came out a bit shocked. He wasn't a buffoon.

Could they have really been so dead on?

WOWSERS, perhaps they did know me, somewhat?

"Beta...how was it" I looked up, there was 16 eyes trained steadily on me.

"Erm...he's ok." Instantly, 8 voices begin the process of mapping out the rest of my life.

And so began the whispers...the bets of how long it would take before I "closed the deal."

I watched them from the entrance to the den and just felt dirty. I marched upstairs to take a shower. Refreshed, I turned to my Salvation and prayed for mercy.

Over the next 3 months, he called regularly. We spoke and had fascinating conversations. Admittedly, I was enamoured by the accent,however he was brilliant.

Ok, so maybe the old biddies knew what the hell they were doing.

4 months later the formal rishta from his mum to my mummi came. Of course everyone was ecstatic. I went into a tailspin. Was I ready for a relationship? What would I say when they did end up asking for my opinion?

A month later I stood in front of him at the airport with no one else around. My eyes were impatient to see the person whom had entered my world on a daily basis...one I had voluntarily allowed to do so. I wanted to see him before he saw me. That was the last thought that went through my mind before I saw him walking up to me. Ok so he looked like his picture,however why was my inner soul recoiling?

Throughout the car ride to the house I thought over it. Why was someone who was SO intellectually stimulating to me causing my soul to recoil?

3 days later I knew the answer.

What was the issue you ask:
His wife may have cheated however I finally realized that you could really drive someone to do so.

How?
He was so controlling that he had annihilated her emotions and belief in herself.

How did I find out?
Because he gleefully told me that he used his money and his emotions to control all whom were in his life.

Question: Was that suppose to make me WANT to say "Kabul hai" to the rishta?

In the end, I walked away.

B Lesson learned: Always listen to your inner voice.

No comments: