Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Soul's Yearning

The memories of the past beckon yet again. The restlessness that remains firmly within my control has reawakened. It's stronger today. It's causing the normally happy-go-lucky personality on the surface which is me to be silenced. There is anxiousness, a searching which defies explanation. Those who know me know that there resides a deep sadness within me.

I'm the girl who everyone clamors to spend time with, yet I belong nowhere. I shy away from attention instinctually and yet my outer self is perfectly at home amongst a roomful of strangers. I'm a farce, a mockery, for I am lying to the most important person...me.

I close my eyes and hear his deep voice; he’s entered our home and is calling for our children and I. His voice even from the back of the house has a deep smile in it, for he’s happy, he’s home. I open my eyes…there is no one there. There is no smiling voice; it was like the rest of my life, a mirage.

Again my eyes close and unbidden comes the wailing of a child. An infant and my yearning know no bounds. I long from deep within my soul for that child …the one whose wails can only be quieted by his mothers soothing voice. I want that child the ones whose body my arms were chiseled to cradle.

I envision spending hours in front of a fire listening to my families stories of what occurred over their individual days. I blink and know before my eyes are even fully opened that I have no one to focus that attention upon.

An extrovert … internally I'm a whirring of emotions, thoughts, questions, concerns and a plethora of facts collected over a lifetime that seems wasted.

Tears come easily for I am deeply unhappy.

The knowledge that by society’s standards I am a productive member of society is meaning less and less to me daily. I've accomplished a lot by society’s measurements and yet I feel like a complete failure. I'm successfully able to play whatever games life hands me and yet I long for a return to simplicity. A normalcy which is so elusive that currently I feel the continued search for it is an exercise in futility.

I close my eyes yet again in hopes that I can recapture that mythical life…the one which beckons me. My soul is so utterly restless that no matter how hard I try, I cannot recapture that elusive dream for reality is the only constant in my life.

And so I enter reality, I open my eyes and I put my fingers to work.

The cursor incessantly blinks behind the phrase: “Where do I belong?”

Dare I press enter?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a masterpiece. Hope you find the inner peace you seek :)
Suhaila